[TR] Any advice on mounting and refurbishment of hard top - TR4 TR6?

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 06:33:08 MST 2011

A fellow club member just built a garage mahal and was going to purchase a
chain hoist - I had one laying around for 10 years gathering dust and gave
it to him.  A few days later he called me and said he had a gift for me -
 I have a hard top for my car.

It's not in perfect shape and it needs new rubber seals - The vinyl top is
a little rough in places.

I have no idea what kind it is or how to mount it - based on the hole in
the area between the door and back window - I seem to recall a turnbuckle
style approach that might be what the holes are for. it also looks like
there are 2 pairs of small holes (screw holes or maybe pop rivet?)  at the
lower rear edge of the top.

link to image of top <http://tinyurl.com/7dfh4go>    or  *
http://tinyurl.com/7dfh4go*
*
*
Any help with any of these questions would be great. Feel free to contact
me off list if you like.

1.  Any idea of the name of the manufacturer? Anyone got an old manual with
mounting instructions?
2. Source for rubber seals or hardware.
3. There is no number 3.
4. Thinking of stripping the vinyl and using truckbed liner spray on the
top.  I've seen an aftermarket surrey top with this type of cover and it
looked pretty good - and with taking it on and off seems like a durable way
to go. Any other opinions or options here?
5. Any one ever thought of converting one of these tops to a surrey top?
Did they have any luck?  I'm an old boat repair guy and years ago did quite
a few cosmetic and structural fiberglass repairs to boats. Or would be a
shame to wreck this top...
6. Can it work with both TR4 or TR6 - can they share the same top (at
different times :)) or does the top have to be configured for specifically
one model.

Sorry for the long list!  Thanks  Chris

54 TR2; 63  TR4; 69 TR6