[TR] TR3 Maradyne Heater

John Wise tr3a.60 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 09:36:43 MST 2011

Based in Bill Brewers advice I also bought the Maradyne heater for my TR3A.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12-volt-maradyne-cab-heater-12-500-btu.html

I currently have it installed in my TR3 & it is putting out a lot of heat!!!
It is so un-LBC!!!

Unlike Bill I decided to turn the heater core 180 degrees in the box, so that
I could attach the heater box directly to the back of the battery box and
still have all the heat output doors in the right orientation.  To do that I
took the front off the box(6 screws), pulled out the core cut the tubes to
size,  I then cut two holes in the front for the input & output lines. I then
cut off the in & out tubes to size & sweated on elbows to form a U that bends
up over the top of the box.  I decided on over-the-top so as to maintain the
maximum space to be able to be able to get access to the under dash wiring.

I used compression fittings to get tube size down from = inch to 3/8 inch, the
size of the heater hose.  See Figure 1.  I also glued an old piece of cork
gasket to the back to insulate the box against rattles and to cover the hole
from the original tube exit holes.

Figure 1 Side of heater facing onto the cockpit.

I attached the heater to the inside of the back of the battery box using
heavy-duty pop rivets (see figure 2), I tried to get the bottom of the heater
box even with the bottom of the battery box.  I then connected the water hoses
and then the hot wire using my old heater fan control -- which works great!

I found removing the tunnel carpet made it much easier to maneuver the box
under the dash and into position.

On the test drive I was surprised!!!  I have never had an LBC that had such
hot air!!!  J

Figure 2.  Front of battery box showing the 5 pop rivet heads,

Figure 3. Underdash photo.

John

John A. Wise
Ormond Beach, FL