[TR] Rug Rat Seats in TR's

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 06:31:27 MST 2011

Hi
List!
To the person that started this thread of wanting to know if his
children were legal to ride in a TRIUMPH. As was stated before by another list
person, YES it is legal as long as you use the proper approved law seat. I
don't see any problem occurring if you do this. I started taking my grand
daughter out in my TR4A when she was two years old, as a reward for her
willing to help me work on the car. I had loosened the bolts that held the
tranny cover on the floor pans & had her use the proper size socket,
extension, & ratchet to finish removing them. I also had her help me do the
assembling of the cover when the time came. Of course I had to Finnish up with
the finial torquing because she didn't have the strength, but she was pretty
close to that point by using the torque wrench with an extender bar. The next
year, I had her help me rotate the wheels. again I had to help her remove the
tyre off the wheel studs after she had loosen & removed each lug nut
 (again she was using an extension on a ratchet. This time I placed a piece of
corrugated cardboard on the passenger seat before placing the child's approved
seat on my leather seats, so as not to cause any harm to the TR seats from the
sharp corners that are on the child's seat. Also she was now about 20 pounds
heavier than the last time. It was a joy to see her enjoying the wind blowing
her long hair ponytail about & the her smile from ear to ear. This year I
taught her how to remove the spark plugs, gap them, & reinstall them into the
engine. She's getting better in handling the torque wrench now. Because I have
the engine out of the car now with the tranny off, because I want to install
the Christian Marx's rear Engine Seal, I'm having her learn about marking the
Flywheel at every 90^ so I can mark these points on the Fan Extension before I
have them notched, as I have described in Cosmo's Repair Manual.

This
TRIUMPH has served many purpose in it's life. It taught me how to repair it
(when I first obtained it I only knew where to put the gas & the key in it).
It taught me how to use the computor (so I could send E-mails to the list,
pictures to friends, &  the use of many different programs. Like PFD that I
used for the manual, how to cut & paste pictures when writing articles, & I'm
wanting to learn how to edit movies from those that I've made with the TR4A
going through the 'Tail of the Dragon' & many other rides). It has opened up
my knowledge of machining, & location of industrial supply companies.

It has
also given me a chance to meet many of the VTR members & other TRIUMPH clubs &
their cars. So to me, my TR4A has opened up many different worlds of learning
& has paid for itself over & over again in the joys of enriching my life.
-Cosmo Kramer