[TR] Purely Subjective Question re. TR3A Valve Settings

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed May 11 19:01:03 MDT 2011

For some strange reason, International Harvester often published "hot" valve
clearances for their older Farmall tractors as did many other manufacturers.
That doesn't do much good when you are assembling an engine and it can't
run. I found that adding 0.003" to the specified hot clearance when
adjusting them cold would give fairly accurate results. But, we are talking
about exhaust clearances in those tractors of 0.017 to 0.020", not just
0.010". Is 0.003" a universal amount rather than a percentage of the hot
clearance? Don't know. But, adjusting valves to a cold clearance when they
are hot will give you more clearance when they are fully cold. You might
notice a bit more clicking from the valve cover.

Alex Thomson