[TR] Five year maintenance tasks?

richard triplett rtriplett25 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 12:00:42 MDT 2011

Reading the recent discussion on tuneup steps to take after a long winter slumber has me wondering about longer-duration checkups:

I "inherited" ts75434L from my dad in 2006. The TR3 had a complete re-freshening in the late 1990s, with a rebuilt TR4 drive-train installed and all electrical replaced/updated. He drove it maybe a total of 5000 miles up to 2006, and I have put at most 500 miles per year since then. So perhaps 7000-8000 miles and 13+ years have gone by since the restoration. It sits in the garage and is never driven in poor weather.

My dad did very little maintenance on the car after the restoration, since it was in such good shape. All I've done is an annual oil change, battery tending and cleaning the air filter periodically. It's got me wondering about what else I should be doing and how often:

Distributor points, valvetrain adjustment, plugs/wires? (Not done in 10+ years)
Carb maintenance? (thoroughly rebuilt strombergs in 2007)
Gas tank maintenance?
Packing wheel bearings?
Lubing suspension points? (I did hit them with a grease gun a few years ago)
Bleeding brakes? (converted to Dot 5)
Replacing gearbox/differential fluid?
Anything else?

This car has been a superb fair-weather driver and only leaks a quarter-sized drip occasionally. I would hate to have a catastrophic failure someday due to lack of maintenance though.

Thanks for any input, Richard