[TR] I finally did it

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed May 4 06:01:31 MDT 2011

In a message dated 5/3/2011 4:03:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> Or eBay.  Don't forget that the TR4 gauge requires a voltage stabilizer
> as
> well.

Indeed.  You will also need the sending unit and the wiring, too.

> Personally, I think I'm going back to the capillary tube style, at least
> for
> now.  I just don't trust the electrical gauge (or my home-brew electronic
> voltage stabilizer); and I'm beginning to think it may be part of my
> perceived overheating problem.  It's either that, or my electric fan
> thermostat is erratic.

The voltage stabilizer, whether store bought or home grown, needs a good
ground.  Grounding it to the back of the gauge (as is typically done by the
factory) can, in time, lead to the problems you are seeing.  Sometimes the bad
ground is within the stabilizer itself.  Not so likely in home brew units
with are most likely soldered but the crimp connection on the Lucas units can
corrode and cause problems.

Dave