[TR] TR4A - Starter Solenoid Wiring

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun May 1 09:02:21 MDT 2011

> I am thinking that "A" and "B" are the two large terminals on
> the solenoid, because a bigger load means bigger terminals.

That's right.

> I was also thinking that "C" will be the small terminal
> labeled "I" for ignition.  This would leave the small "S"
> terminal with nothing on it.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.  "S" gets the control from the
switch (or in your case, the relay controlled by the switch); while "I" is
used only on cars with external ballast resistors.

To verify, use your DMM (or powered test light) to check for continuity
between "S" and ground.  If you find continuity (or a resistance of roughly
5 ohms), it is the coil for the solenoid.

The "I" terminal I believe will show open to all other terminals until the
solenoid is energized, then it will show 0 ohms to both large terminals.

-- Randall