[TR] heavy

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Mar 20 16:08:09 MST 2011

In a message dated 3/20/2011 2:00:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
jat1127 at hotmail.com writes:
> I have been looking for a heavy steering problem with my power steering
> TR8 FHC for sometime. I have been doing it a step at a time.
> The pump was replaced. No change. I reduced the tension on the rack. No
> change.
> Then the rack started to leak. Oil was pouring out. So I swapped the rack.
> It is all back together and the result is the same.
> The steering "feels" heavy and does not return well. This car has been
> completely re-done all steering parts and springs bushing etc and driven
> perhaps 5000 miles.
> When the car is off is front wheels and the steering is worked the top of
> the struts and the top cup washer turn with the steering. If the car is on
> the ground the tops do not turn. Is this normal or are the top bearings not
> assembled correctly? My other car is in storage so I will not be able to
> compare there for another two weeks.
> Please folks do the tops of your struts turn?
> Please and ideas or comments?

The tops of the struts and cup washers should never turn.  There is a
thrust washer between the upper spring pan and the cone spacer.  If the tops are
turning the thrust washer isn't.  There is also a seal for that thrust
washer.  If that was left out of damaged the lubricant may have washed away
causing the thrust washer to sieze.

BTW, Ted (TSI) has a set of nifty needle bearings for this application and
although the TR8 with the power assist doesn't really need it, they do make
a better alternative to the washer.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6