[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 96

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Fri Mar 18 19:40:40 MST 2011

>> If the effective radius of the cutting edge of the reamer changes
>> around the
>> circumference,
>
> But we aren't changing the circumference, only the angle leading up to it.

The cutting edge of the reamer flutes is at 45 degrees to the axis. If the
cutting edges are cut by hand, the cutting edges will not all be the same
length and the average radius of the frustum formed by the cutting edges,
measured to the middle of the cutting edge, will be different for each
flute.  That is what I meant by "changing around the circumference".  Its
hard to explain in words - a sketch pad and a couple of beers would help
this discussion come to an early conclusion, I would guess!

Regards,

Mike