[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 96

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Fri Mar 18 15:47:09 MST 2011

If the new cutting edges that you create with your dremel are not all the
same length and angle, it will force the reamer to rotate eccentricly and
create a hole that is larger than its nominal diameter.  There is enough
radial clearance in the bearings of the drill press quill to enable this to
happen.  You can do the same thing with a drill bit - grind the cutting edge
of one drill flute longer than the other and it will drill an oversize hole.
Of course, this will only occur if the work is securely clamped.  If it
isn't the piece will "walk" with the drill or reamer.

Mike