[TR] [Autojumble] For sale - CA black license plates-unissued/unused

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 15:01:22 MST 2011

> I just purchased an old Land Rover 88 that had been in
> California its whole life. The license plate (which expired
> the end of 2007) is, I believe, one that would be of great
> interest to some people. It is a blue and yellow plate
> OUTBAK. As I do not live in California, is this something
> that could be transferred to someone else?

I don't believe so.  The former owner could have kept the plate and
transferred it to another of his cars; but since he did not do that, it's
interesting only as a collector's item.  Blue plates are not eligible for
the YOM program.

However, if you have a pair of them and surrender them to the CA DMV, then
the legend becomes available to put on a new plate.  I'm not sure exactly
how that works, but it might be worth investigating.

-- Randall