[TR] Specifications of warp in front hub?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 17:10:16 MST 2011

> Well, I sent this (or at least I thought that I sent it) yesterday,

You did, as I got it.

> 1- What is the max. amount of warp excepted in the front hub before
> having the
> hub's face resurfaced?

I do not know of a specification for that.  But .030" at the hub shouldn't
cause more than about .090" (3 times) at the tire, which doesn't seem like
enough to worry about.

> 2- I found that one wheel stud was so loose that I could push it out
> with just
> my figure. Could that be the cause of the wheel wobble?

Seems unlikely to me.  Still, it's kind of worrisome, I might think about
looking for another hub.

> I can fix that later,

How were you planning to fix it?  If it involves welding or peening, then I
would leave any truing operation until later.

> 3- Can this operation take place on a normal lath?

I'm sure there is a way, but I haven't figured out the best approach yet.
I'm thinking perhaps load the bearings into the hub, then mount it between
centers and rig some sort of drive dog to turn it.

But right now the garage is such a disaster area that I can't even get to
the lathe, let alone work on it.  And I'll need a bigger center.

-- Randall