[TR] Camshaft selections - TR2-4A Engines

Catpusher at aol.com Catpusher at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 22:18:03 MDT 2011

The factory changed the front cam base diameter while developing the  TR2
because of cam failures.  I strongly suggest the use of blanks or  billet
cam blanks.  A reduced regrind (not Larry's) cost us a yearly  divisional SCCA
title, and if the cam fails in two places, it will also fall  down between
the block and  crank, which usually trashes the  motor.

Hardy

FWIW, Larry offers either regrinds on stock cores, or new grinds on  blanks
he sources from the UK.  On the regrinds, they have to cut into  the shaft
itself in the thicker section near the front.  Haven't heard  of anyone
breaking one, but the factory supposedly added that thicker section  because
they saw excessive flex, so I opted for a new blank.

I would  also strongly recommend an overdrive.

--  Randall