[TR] [Fot] Fw: new oil infor

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 19:13:27 MDT 2011

> There are Not street legal versions of both petroleum and
> synthetic VR1's.  hard to find and expensive.

I was just looking at Valvoline's web site, and it lists only one "Valvoline
Specialty Racing Oil (Not Street Legal)" (which does not say "VR1").
http://tinyurl.com/6hegkdb

But it apparently has the same amount of ZDDP as both VR1 and VR1 synthetic.

Note that VR1 and VR1 Synthetic meet several API standards
(SH/SL/SM/SN/CD/CF) while the NSL stuff does not.  I'm guessing that means
the NSL doesn't have as many "long life" additives like detergents and
anti-corrosion as VR1 does.  The NSL also lists TBN less than 6 (which could
mean 0), while VR1 lists TBN=8.5.

BTW, Amazon lists Valvoline NSL at $40/case of 6.  Not exactly cheap, but
about what you'd pay for VR1 Synthetic in most stores.

-- Randall