[TR] originality issues

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 08:34:44 MDT 2011

On 6/26/11 6:57 AM, wbeech at flash.net wrote:
>   if I could afford a second TR3 I would be much like
> TeriAnn and try to maintain a stock appearance with a nice late model drive
> train and suspension.

Late model drive train & suspension??

My 3 still has its factory original engine block, and rear axle
housing.  By late model do you mean my TR4 gearbox?

It is basically an original factory TR3A drive train and suspension with
the addition of a TR4 gearbox and aftermarket parts. Since original
parts have dried up, any rebuild or replacement of worn parts done these
days is done with aftermarket parts.  It is more a matter of choosing
between stock like aftermarket parts or performance aftermarket parts.
Can you even find factory 83mm pistons & liners any more?

I would be more apt to have said "try to maintain a stock appearance
with performance uprated  drive train and suspension components.  OK,
I'll admit to a late model alternator.

Is having an original crank shaft balanced, nitrided and journals cross
drilled turning it into a late model crank?

I always thought a "late model drive train" would be something like a
Toyota  gearbox swap into a TR body, not swapping in a TR4 gearbox into
TR3.  Maybe I'm wrong though.  The gearbox is 3 or 4 years newer than
the car.

Teriann