[TR] Originality issues

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 15:49:01 MDT 2011

Hi John,
Been and little busy at work but I am probably in the group that Phil first
 spoke of and it really depends on the Triumph's condition when purchased.
 My 76 Spit 1500 was my first purchased in 1980 from a wrecking yard,
front accident damage to only one side and the car was original and  complete.
Then came the 71 TR6.  The ad in the paper claimed it to be  a low mileage
mint original example, sooo.  It gets a little fuzzy but  I believe the TR3B
came next and although it was used up fairly well it was not  modified and I
wanted it so I could join TRA and compete in Concours.

My three Wedges were all original examples when purchased "Historic
Preservation of Original Features" was the proper thing to do with them although
I may paint the TR8 sometime in the future.

The TR250 was going to be a modified car but then I found a set  of Bumble
Bee hoses and had to go stock. It took a lot of effort  but I scored 398 pts
out of 400 at the VTR in Portland, ME with it which  was a very rewarding
experience for me.

The GT6 was bought in pieces so no need to even attempt an original  car.
It is built for Modified Touring and is a 68 & 70 combined.   I also confess
that I took a restored mostly original Spitfire MK 3 and  turned it into a
Modified Prepared autocross Triumph.

The TR4 was an early restored 62 that was not finished and my  good buddy
Scott Harper of Team Triumph just happened to have a very original 62  donor
car that gave me all the parts that I needed to finish it as  original.  I
have one more TR4 to restore.  A mostly original 63  but I am going to go
modified with it because it is a whole lot easier and  ultimately less
expensive to build them with "NO Rules" IMHO.

BTW I am Chief Judge only because Vernon Brandon asked me to do it  before
the first Breckinridge Convention too many years ago.  Yes I have a  lot of
Triumphs so I know some things about them but I am not an originality nut
case.  I can see the value in all the Triumphs that fine folks and  friends
drive and restore as a rewarding hobby.  The VTR Motto: TRIUMPH -
PRESERVATION - RESTORATION - ENJOYMENT.

Hey, Dave Massey is my choice to replace me as the Chief when my term runs
out in two years.  HIP HIP HOORAY for Dave.  How about it Guys?

Cheers,
Darrell

In a message dated 6/24/2011 12:52:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,