[TR] Originality issues

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 24 11:22:22 MDT 2011

When I acquired my TR4A many years ago it was I believe stock original
except it had (still has) Cosmic alloy wheels. I believe they were a factory
option. It had been run into the ground as the saying goes but it was all
there. That is to say all 4 springs were too weak, particularly the rear
ones, there was a metal fan on the end of the crank which did,nt work very
well in hot weather,  the lights and flashers were routed through switches
on the steering fast burning  out.The cylinder head was starting to crack
around the valve seats and was not right for unleaded petrol. The diff was
not properly supported, nor the brackets supporting the front wheel
assemblies. Just to name a few things.
My aim was to stick to makers spec except where safety and reliability were
involved. After all we want to drive these old things not spend our time by
the roadside.So I have uprated springs, an electric fan with thermo switch
and o/ride control, relays where necessary for lights and horn, spin on oil
filter, cracked diff mount replaced,unleaded cylinder head with inserts to
prevent recession, fitted modern extendable seat belts, a hazard warning
light system, replaced the original hand pump windscreen washer with an
electric one from a Japanese car, mounted a cigarette lighter under the dash
for GPS ect, fitted a modern CD/radio and so on.
However I have kept all the old bits so that if any future owner after me
should want to be "original" then they have only to put the old bits back.
If AM radio is your bag.
I think that if many of these modifications had been available when the car
was made then Triumph would have incorporated them, but if there is a demand
for a concours class for strict "originality" lets have one, but Dave Massey
and company must be right to encourage a "modified to make them better on
the road" class.
I seem to have gone on a bit. Sorry.
YMMV,
David Brister