[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 16

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:08:21 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> While I agree, I am curious : Has anyone actually had a short stud fail
> when
> used with the steel wheel nuts (and not under racing conditions) ?

I have also wondered this -- when I think about the short stud and
double-bevel nut that secure the wire wheel splined adaptor it seems (to my
engineering-ignorant mind) that the forces at work would be comparable to
those in play if the same stud & nut were holding a steel wheel in place.

The only difference I can see is that one bevel nut cannot easily loosen
when the wire wheel is mounted as the hub of the wheel sort of captures the
nut limiting how much a single nut could undo.

I, too, offer the 'use only as directed / don't try this at home / YMMV
disclaimer.

Geo