[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 16

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Fri Jun 17 15:57:03 MDT 2011

I guess since I brought that subject up I should add to what I said. I too
ran an old TR4 that I had for a few months on solid wheels with ww studs and
lived to see the next day but I would not recommend anyone do this just
because I lived through doing it. That car was sold a long time ago. In 1998
I changed my TR4A from wires to Panasports. I planned to change the studs
this time but I wanted to see how these new wheels and tires looked on my
car. The front fit and there was some thread engagement but when I tried the
back I was only able to get about 2 threads to engage using the supplied
Panasport wheel nuts. Why the front to back difference I don't know, perhaps
the front ww studs are a bit longer. I did not lower the car to the ground
with the Panasports on the back for fear they would pull off the studs.

Moral is this. Maybe you can get away with it using stock TR wheels but you
can not using Panasport wheels and I suspect the other styled wheels are the
same. The hubs of the wheels are too thick to allow it. I would not endorse
it with stock wheels either.............but I did it when I didn't know any
better.

JVV