[TR] TR4A - Windshield Wiper Motor & Horn Issues

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 16:00:11 MDT 2011

> However, it is supposed to cut off once it hits the parking position,
> and does
> not, it just keeps running.

Try removing the wire from motor terminal 1, then turn the key on again.  If
it still runs continuously, you must have a short in the internal wire to
the park switch.  Not unusual for the insulation to crack and allow a short
where it passes through the motor housing.

If removing the wire stops the motor, reconnect it and try disconnecting at
the switch.  If the results are any different, the wire itself is shorted
somewhere.

If not, then the switch doesn't match what I think you have.  Use an
ohmmeter or powered test light to find a pair of terminals that are only
connected when the switch is "on".

I'm not too familiar with the TR4/A steering column, but I believe the
contact is supposed to ground the ring to the steering shaft itself.  There
should be a small braided jumper at the rubber flex joint, and then a ground
wire directly to the steering rack that complete the circuit.

-- Randall