[TR] TR4A - Windshield Wiper Motor & Horn Issues

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Thu Jun 16 13:15:22 MDT 2011

All,

Hope everyone is doing well.  I spent some time last weekend wrapping up the
testing of the electric components that are effective without the engine
actually running.
Most look great, and I am well pleased.  However, two of the items I wasn't
able to work out in the time allowed, and any help would be appreciated.

Windshield Wiper Motor

In the past I have posted some questions/comments about the wiper motor.
I removed it from the car long ago and overhauled on my workbench.
I attempted to bench test, but could never get it to run.
Well, once it was installed in the car and activated, it ran like a top!  In
fact, it runs too well.

It is a single-speed Lucas DR3A motor.  (At one point I believed it to be
double speed.)
When I turn the key to the "on" position the motor comes on, just like its
supposed to.
However, it is supposed to cut off once it hits the parking position, and does
not, it just keeps running.
>From everything I know, this indicates that the circuit remains grounded.
I even removed the parking plate and tried it again, and got the same
results.

I tried pulling the double-speed switch to all positions, and it has no
affect. (For some reason I have a single-speed motor and a double-speed
switch).
Things are wired thusly:

Motor
Green power wire on terminal "2"
Wire from switch on terminal "1"
Ground from terminal "E"

Switch
Wire to motor on terminal "5/6"
Ground on terminal "3/4"

Horn

I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work, but I have a hunch.
The copper plate behind the steering wheel is always hot.  (I know this
because I have a full 12V on the plate when the key is off.)
So, I add the steering wheel, then the three pronged thingy, then the spring
rod thingy, then the button, making sure the spring rod contacts the bar on
the back of the button.
I push down on the button and get nothing.

My thought is that pushing on the button is supposed to create a ground, thus
completing the circuit.  But to what?
By pushing the button, power will flow from the charged plate, through the
spring rod, to the button's plate to what?  What is there to ground against?

Can anyone offer any advice on these before I spend hours troubleshooting
them?
As always, I thank you in advance.