[TR] rust removers recommendations

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 16:14:07 MDT 2011

> How would I clean the very small parts with the reverse plating method?
> It
> would be difficult and time consuming to do one part at a time.

No reason you can't do several at a time, either in the same bucket or
separate buckets.

> Back in the UK I used a product called Jenolite. With that, you didn't
> need
> to wash the parts in water afterwards. The parts had a blackish coating
> which you could paint over with primer.

That sounds like the version commonly called "Rust Converter" and sold under
several different brands here.  Should be readily available at FLAPS,
Wal-Mart, etc.  I don't know that any one is better than the other, but I've
been happy with the Kleen-Strip brand.
http://www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-KLSRC22-Rust-Converter-8oz/sim/B0015DMJZA/2

Recently though, I've been using the Rustoleum "Rust Reformer" which is
similar, but seems to actually contain flat black paint in addition to the
rust treatment.  Seems to work better, on things that will be left outside
but not given another coat of paint (like the plumbing on my air
compressor).

-- Randall