[TR] rust removers recommendations

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 15:46:58 MDT 2011

>And we have hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, that doesn't mean I want
>laboratory grade acid splashing on my skin or eyes.  This is a case where the
>solution to pollution is dilution.  <SNIP>

>The question is how do you avoid using more than you need?  What
>happens to the excess?

Did a frame-off nut twisting, bolt churning, restoration of my TR3A.  Sawed the body in half to get it off the frame...easy because the rockers and floors were mostly gone anyway!  Suspect am proud possessor of the PowerBlaster Award for number one user at one point.

Used phosphoric acid in gallon jugs from, ISTR, Home Depot or Lowes.  Diluted and in spray bottles.  Dave is right.  Burns like crazy when it gets on your skin, but a trick I learned was to be clumsy with POR 15 such that your hands are coated, thus protected.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Directions on the jug were pretty clear.  Leave the part wet with it for 10 - 15 minutes, something like that, then hose off or spray liberally with the bottle.  Let dry, then it's ready to prime and paint.  I think it's been 10 years now, with daily driving when there's no snow.  No issues with paint peeling or any of that.  Painted surfaces look great, but then I'm not a concourse type so claim no true judgment here.

Worked for me.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire  (Finally got the timing right and the car is jumping out of its skin to accelerate.  Gawd I love this car!)