[TR] rust removers recommendations

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Jun 13 14:55:49 MDT 2011

In a message dated 6/13/2011 12:53:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
TR3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> Phosphoric acid is not very hazardous, though, and in fact is an
> ingredient
> in many soft drinks.  After reacting with rust, you have iron phosphate
> and
> water.

And we have hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, that doesn't mean I want
laboratory grade acid splashing on my skin or eyes.  This is a case where the
solution to pollution is dilution.  Most domestic water systems in this
country have enough lime and other dissolved minerals in larger enough quantities
to neutralize the acid.

The acid that does react with the rust does leave behind just phosphate and
water.  The question is how do you avoid using more than you need?  What
happens to the excess?

Dave