[TR] Another Crazy Question: Beware, chestnut related

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Thu Jun 2 20:56:58 MDT 2011

On 6/2/2011 8:38 PM, wbeech at flash.net wrote:
> 4 degrees is what is called for, you could bump it up a couple with no
> adverse affects but listen closely for pinging under a load.  If you hear
> pinging you either need to back it down or pony up for the next higher
> octane grade of petrol.

The complaints about poor performance at the recommended static advance
deserve a check of total advance with a suitable strobe timing light
(either by calculating total advance on the circumference of the pulley
or using a timing light with an adjustable advance feature).  I've seen
plenty of distributors with sticky advance plates or seized-up
centrifugal weights which will easily frustrate one.  If adding advance
screws up idle and off-idle performance, but improves performance higher
up in the range, and subtracting static advance does the opposite, it's
worth the time to check the advance curve across the entire range,
because it will end up saving time and aggravation.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....