[TR] Window Problems on my TR4

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 06:04:46 MDT 2011

I had similar issues 3 or 4 years back.  When I took my windows apart
I had a few issues.   The clip that holds the scissors arrangement
that Dave spoke about had broken on one of the mechanisms - and both
sides the window tracks were really worn.

I bought new track from JC Whitney, and it came in a long cardboard
tube - damaged but I think it was handled roughly.   Even though they
were tweaked, it was easy to bend them straight.

I drilled out the rivets from the old tracks and cut new ones to
length and riveted back in place -  afternoon job and works well.   I
ended up going the hardware store and buying a few of those axle caps
to hold the mechanism together.  BTW - those clips are hard to figure
out when installed -  they slide to one side and pull off - there is a
spring finger in the center of the clip that holds tension once in
place - that center spring was broken on my clip.

if your tracks and mechanism looks good - it could just be a spacing
issue with the track - you can make some adjustments with shims or
washers to move the tracks around once you are in there.

I also made sure the holes in the bottom of my door were open while I
was in there - and treated the inside surface rust with rust restorer
before painting it.  I glued plastic sheet inside the interior panel
before re-installing the door panel as I saw some water stains on the
door panel as well.

Chris