[TR] Shifting a tub on a frame.

Steve Smith dogzbody1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 11:07:11 MDT 2011

I've asked this question on the 6 Pack forum but it occurs to me (finally but
slowly) that all TRs up to the TR6 had a separte frame and tub so I wanted to
post the question here to gain the benefit of the broader view as there is no
reason this issue should be specific to the 6.

It looks to me like the body
of my 69 TR6 sits a little right of center on the
frame. I only noticed it
after a 4 wheel alignment with GP brackets as the left
rear wheel is closer
to the edge of the fender than is the right - and yes I 've
checked for
equivalent wheel offset, easy with stock rims. Prior to the
alignment the
wheels were all over the place so its not a result of using GP
brackets
(which are really cool by the way). The car is from the central valley
of
California and is still in its orginal paint so I can see that it has never
had any accident damage and it obviously isnt rusty.

The local alignment
shop has a deep history with Spitfires and tells me it was
quite common for
these cars to be shipped from the factory like this, of course
it may have
moved on its own as the rubber pads between the frame and body dried
up with
the rest of the rubber during 33 years in Modesto.

SO FINALLY TO THE
QUESTION...If I loosen all of the body to frame hardware, is
there enough
wiggle room in the body to wiggle or push it into alignment with
the frame? I
suppose I'm asking in the holes in the body are elongated or if it
is what it
is and I should learn to live with it.

Thanks for any help!
Steve