[TR] TR3 engines

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Mon Jul 25 21:49:48 MDT 2011

Yeah, Like Wot Randall Said.

However, I would emphasise Randall's point by saying that, unless your
engine was built in about 1958 and hung around before going to the Morgan
factory, it's almost certainly the later type you need.

To endorse Randall's comment on the gear: I had to change the gear on my
gear-reduction starter because I have an early car (bomb starter) but I found
 that it had been fitted with a late-type ring gear, and I didn't know this
until  I had the gear reduction starter (with the gear for an early car) in
my hand and  the bomb starter out. This meant there was no hope for an
original type starter  to work for very long, unless I changed the ring gear or
fitted a late-type gear  to the gear  reduction starter motor. I did the
latter; it was easy and I  can say you will not regret changing to one of these
starters.

In your position, and if I did not want to disassemble before ordering the
starter, I'd order the late one, then change the gear in the unlikely event
 it doesn't fit. For the very few extra $, you could even order the earlier
 gear as well, just in case it's an early engine.

Sorry we can't be more specific but the changeover went by VIN and not
engine number, so neither your engine number, nor your Morgan's VIN, gives us
the info we need to give you a definitive answer.

Tim in Ontario, Canada; '57 TR3A

> My  1961 Morgan Plus 4 has a TR3 engine.  The engine number is
>  8197.  Does
> anyone know which gear reduction starter it takes,  the early
> TR3 one or the
> later one?

How many times has  the flywheel been changed ?

By 61, it almost certainly had the late  starter originally; but it's not at
all unusual to find that someone  converted at some point; intentionally or
not.  Back in the 70's,  everyone _knew_ "They're all the same".

So, as Bob wrote, I would  insist on checking which flywheel is installed.

BTW, the gear-drive  starters are the same except for the gear; and changing
the gear is not  that difficult.  So if you do get the wrong one, you may be
able to  buy the gear and swap it over.

-- Randall

triumphs at autox.team.net

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive