[TR] TR3 engines

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 25 21:34:02 MDT 2011

> My 1961 Morgan Plus 4 has a TR3 engine.  The engine number is
> 8197.  Does
> anyone know which gear reduction starter it takes, the early
> TR3 one or the
> later one?

How many times has the flywheel been changed ?

By 61, it almost certainly had the late starter originally; but it's not at
all unusual to find that someone converted at some point; intentionally or
not.  Back in the 70's, everyone _knew_ "They're all the same".

So, as Bob wrote, I would insist on checking which flywheel is installed.

BTW, the gear-drive starters are the same except for the gear; and changing
the gear is not that difficult.  So if you do get the wrong one, you may be
able to buy the gear and swap it over.

-- Randall