[TR] Bleeding Brakes, TR4A

Francis Precht FPrecht at frostburg.edu
Mon Jul 25 12:04:05 MDT 2011

I have an issue that I don't remember ever having before.  I had a leaky rear
brake cylinder that I replaced on my TR4A along with new shoes.  While I was
at it (oh no) I saw that the rubber hoses on the rear brakes seemed like they
were starting to crack, so I also replaced those.  I then proceeded to bleed
the entire system using DOT 5 silicone which has been in there since I
acquired the car 6 years ago.

I bled all 4 wheels, RR, RL, FR, FL and had a nice hard pedal.  I started the
car to go for a drive and the pedal went to the floor.  Hmmmmm.....bubbles in
the fluid I thought.  I let the car sit for a week, rebled all 4 wheels to a
hard pedal.....start the car.....same thing.  I've now done this 3 times.

I DO NOT have any brake assist/booster on the system.  The easy fix is to
bleed the brakes with the car running but that doesn't seem right.  What am I
doing wrong ???

Many thanks for any insight.
Bud Precht