[TR] radiator contamination

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 11:59:50 MDT 2011

I agree with Randall about instant gasket gunge. Many years ago as a
wet-behind-the-ears Apprentice at Jaguar, I used the same technique - and got
caught by the Engine Assembly Foreman. The punishment for that little
misdemeanour was to go on all fours and push a table tennis ball round the
Sports Club football pitch with my nose in my lunch break! That's a
humiliation you never forget but it was accepted practice in those days. If
you had any sense, you *never* crossed swords with a Foreman.
With instant
gunge, there's too much of a risk of surplus ooze getting where you don't want
it and being a long-term PITA. In any case, where paper gaskets are used
around water pumps and stat housings, it's easy enough to make your own, using
gasket paper. May take a bit longer but an enjoyable activity and if you
carefully trim the finished article with a pair of scissors or craft knife, it
can be a very pleasing experience. Then, just a light smear of Hermetite (or
whatever) on the mating faces and you're done - with no worries.

Jonmac