[TR] Welding radiator inlet tubes - mating different ones.

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 14 11:57:45 MDT 2011

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 01:21:28 pm Jerrold Le Tourneau wrote:
> The cap mount flange has deteriorated on my 68' GT6 radiator.  The
> radiator cap is barely held in place.  I have another radiator that the
> drain tap has fallen out off and appears that it can't be fixed.  I was
> wondering if would be practical to cut the radiator/cap fill tubes on
> the radiators and weld the good one to replace the bad one.  The
> original radiator seems fine otherwise with no visible leaks.  Anybody
> have thoughts on this idea?

Jerrold,

I got a TR3 radiator on Ebay but it did not have the part you described.
Someone must have removed it. So I heated up a wrecked radiator filler flange
and removed it and re soldered it to the good radiator.

At least  on the TR3, all those parts are soldered not welded. So if the GT6
radiators are the same, you should be able to heat up the flange and remove it
and do the same on the radiator with a good flange and re-solder it to your
good radiator. I used my standard propane torch and real lead/tin solder.
(Dont tell the EPA!)

Bob