[TR] Paint Question

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sat Jul 9 19:11:35 MDT 2011

Hi List,
I hope there is someone out there that can help me with a painting
question..?

I am in the middle of painting the engine compartment, trunk, and passenger
compartment in preparation of lowering the tub onto my frame.
I am using a LIMCO 123 base coat and GT Select clear coat. I had painted the
engine compartment two weekends ago and it turned out great. The color is
Royal Blue.
Unfortunately, during the night dirt dropped down onto the tops of the inner
fenders!
So, I sanded down the inner fenders, actually I sanded down the entire engine
compartment with 600 wet/dry.
As a side note, I had purchased a GC-3 filter/dryer about 3 weeks ago and just
realized this morning that the inner dessicant element wasn't installed
correctly and could not have worked but it turns out there were no moisture
issues.
This morning, I wiped down the entire car with degreaser but just let it air
dry like I have always done before. Then, I used a tack rag to remove any
remaining dust and started to spray the base coat on the engine compartment.
As I sprayed the inner fenders, fisheye's appeared!!!!
It was hot today, and humid but I have painted (primer) before in this
weather.
Does anybody have any ideas what could have caused the fisheye??
I have read that I should have used the "wipe on/wipe off" method with the
degreaser. Could there have been some reaction painting more base over the
previous paint?
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 Triumph TR4A IRS