[TR] Wheel wobble/ Bearing race Cups?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 06:59:13 MST 2011

> There is (was) enough meat on the edge of
> the hub to grab
> it and lock it down.

But then that tells you absolutely nothing about whether the face of the hub
is perpendicular to the bearing races/bores.

And the machined edge of my hubs is less than 1/8" wide, which doesn't seem
like nearly "enough" to me, especially since part of it needs to hang out if
you are going to face the hub without also facing the chuck jaws.

> We held the saw plate the same way as the hub to
> cut the bore
> holes larger.

That surprises me too.  A 3-jaw chuck isn't the most accurate thing,
generally it's "center" varies with jaw opening especially if there is any
wear at all in the scrolls.  So this would only make sense to me if you
mounted the chuck and a saw plate, then indicated the assembly for true from
the center hole of the saw plate.  Then you could swap in other plates with
reasonable repeatability.

Or if it didn't matter if the center hole was off by a few thousandths.

-- Randall