[TR] New Forum - Email vs. Forum

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 07:55:27 MST 2011

I see how I could like both.   Email for questions, consultations, general
information -- and the forums for project progress diaries with pictures --
lots of pictures!!!

Reading the rest of this is purely optional - I let my fingers get away from
me.  Apologies.

Email list -   I use gmail and auto tag all forum email  so it's easy to
separate them and chunk through them at my leisure. I find the threads on an
email list are usually quite short and to the point.

Forums are great to photo document or blog your project progress -- I love
the project posts and seeing photos as projects continue. The richness of
photos, youtube, and other attachments can help move problem resolution more
quickly, and the separate categories keep you more efficient on what you
want to look at.

As noted earlier - I agree that the downside of forum categores is some of
our most knowledgeable folks may not delve in to areas that are not their
current interest and we miss out on their feedback.

Threads on forums can meander on and off topic and  one thread can often
contain 10's of pages of posts.  These are really difficult to extract
information from later.   I have better success searching the email list
archive, but maybe that's because there are relatively fewer posts than some
other forums.....

I'm currently on two other forums -  FornoBravo.com  and GarageJournal.com

some personal experience on other forums:

I've been on FornoBravo almost since it started.   This is an awesome group
- little if any flaming and really supportive. I recently built a wood fired
pizza oven and patio - took a bunch of time off my triumph work.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/christos-cucina-1227.html#post6274
I then pretty much took a year off (to focus on Triumphs!) and it was hard
to get caught up when I went back to visit.

I'm new to Garage Journal  http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ - (trying to
convince my better half to build a 24x30 detached garage)  and I'm almost
afraid to post any question as the site is huge and just trying to research
a simple question takes hours.  Flaming is much more prevalent there - but
still lots of helpful folks - and amazing garages and storage solutions.