[TR] Wheel wobble/ Bearing race Cups?

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 20:01:39 MST 2011

Hi List!

OK, now that I started this thread & have replied to 99.9% of them. Here is what I have:
9 wheels in total (5 with tyres & 4 just rims). I've gone to a club member's house & we checked out all of them. I then found out that 3/32" is within the spects of hop (up & down) & wobble (side to side). Wheel hop is more of a concern than wheel wobble when worring about the wheel's roundness, to effect the ride of the car.

Then I asked about how to check out the front hub's Bearing Race Cups to be parallel. Most people replied: to use a dial indicator on a base (magenet or clamp) to check the hub's 'roll out'.

BUT I questioned this method because if the hub's Bearing Race Cups are NOT mounted into the hub parallel, then I feel that you will be getting a reading of wobble; when the hub unit, it self, doesen't have a wobble or warpness at all.

I have not done ANYTHING yet, except to check out each rim's bead on the left side & right side of each wheel in what I feel was a crude way. BUT! It DID give me more input on my problem than what I started with.

So this is a summary & I'm still in a quandary on how, SPECIFACIALY, do I  know if my hub's race cups are parralel after I use the dial indicator?

Thank You for all the replies, but I'm still needing more help. TIA
-Cosmo Kramer