[TR] TR 7 exhaust system

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 16:39:11 MST 2011

> The guy at the inspection station said that
> if there were no catalytic converters, it would not pass NC
> inspection.

More importantly, would it pass if it had cats on it?  I don't know what the
NC inspection involves, but it would almost certainly take more than just
bolting on some cats to get it to pass the CA tailpipe sniffer test, even
before they started using a treadmill (dyno).  Ditto the EGR function test.
My point is that you might want to investigate more carefully before
spending a lot of money on a car that won't pass anyway.

> I have two questions: Did the 1980 TR7 have a catalytic
> converter as standard equipment?

Certainly US models did.

> Does anyone have a
> suggestion about small catalytic converters for a very cramped space?

My suggestion would be to find a local muffler shop and let them see the
problem.  AFAIK the "universal replacement" cats have been outlawed, but
they would probably know of a stock cat that would fit.  Worst case, you
might have to put the cats where your mufflers currently are, and use some
sort of thin glasspack muffler in a different location.

> By the way the V8 is a Pontiac 400cc out of a Formula.

My 2 cylinder motorcycle was 400cc; maybe you mean 400ci ?
<G>

-- Randall