[TR] Proper gasket installation

Darrell Walker darrellw at ipns.com
Thu Jan 13 08:21:37 MST 2011

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

On Jan 12, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Randall wrote:

>> thermostat cover and water pump.  These gaskets are like thin
>> kraft paper, and obviously are contact with water/coolant.
>
> That's odd.  The factory gaskets were quite a bit thicker than what I'd call
> kraft paper, more like a thin cardboard IMO.

All are more rigid than a typical brown paper bag, and the thickness seems to vary.  Looking in my big stash of gaskets, I do have water pump gaskets almost as thick as chipboard, and some almost as thin as plain old paper.  In fact, my new water pump came with two gaskets, one very thin and one pretty thick!

> I like Hylomar for those gaskets, mostly because it's easy to remove next
> time.  In fact, I can frequently reuse the gasket.

Is that the blue sticky stuff that doesn't really set?

-Darrell

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS CTC67956L