[TR] Proper gasket installation

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 12 22:45:10 MST 2011

> thermostat cover and water pump.  These gaskets are like thin
> kraft paper, and obviously are contact with water/coolant.

That's odd.  The factory gaskets were quite a bit thicker than what I'd call
kraft paper, more like a thin cardboard IMO.

I like Hylomar for those gaskets, mostly because it's easy to remove next
time.  In fact, I can frequently reuse the gasket.

> The other gasket I'm installing is the timing chain cover
> gasket.  This is a much thicker, heavy black material, and of
> course contacts oil.  Should they have any kind of dressing?
> If so, what kind?  Applied to both sides?

I also use Hylomar there, applied to both sides.  Last time I also added a
fiber washer (cut from an unused carb gasket) to the support stud in the
middle of the cover, also with Hylomar on both sides.

Did I mention that I like Hylomar <G>

-- Randall