[TR] Tire and Wheel Recommendation for 1961 TR3A

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 13:58:59 MST 2011

On 1/7/11, gdewine at aol.com <gdewine at aol.com> wrote:

> I am considering purchasing after market wheels to give the car a new look.

A new look can mean many things but since it is a TR3A I'll assume you
mean 'different' and not 'modern'.

If you have steel wheels now you have many options and what you choose
will suggest the tire size you need.

I have several sets of wheels which I switch around from time to time,
so I have steel, alloy & wires (using a .25" spacer).

The stock disc and wire wheels have 165x15s on them though I have seen
much wider mounted.  Vredesteins are popular, Nexens and Kuhmos are
less expensive and still deliver suitable driving.

The alloys are wider and have the 195/65 Bridgestone Potenzas which
give improved handling (though I drove for so many years on skinny
tires I still like the 'personality' one gets when cornering in
165x15s).

> Leads on a supplier and tire sizing would be appreciated.

Internet sources include these guys from whom I have purchased 3 sets
so far and been quite satisfied.

http://www.tireeasy.com/

If you don't care for the idea of buying tires online you might find
that printing off the page from a low-price site will get a discount
tire store to match the price (plus mounting & balancing).  That keeps
the $$ more local and may leave you with better recourse should a
problem occur.