[TR] Valve Seals

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Sun Feb 27 15:45:48 MST 2011

Hi Bob,

The Spitfire engines did not come with seals.  But many people much more
expert than I,  recommend using putting seals on the valve stems when
rebuilding.  I am pretty sure it was one of the recommendations in Kas
Kastner's books though I don't have mine handy to confirm that.

I had them installed on my 1500 engine when I had the head done last
fall.  So far I can't really comment on the benefit.  I would think it
would help reduce oil consumption.

However as you said they were built without them originally and
performed fine.

Roger Elliott