[TR] Subject: rear oil seal TR3 In Place

Catpusher at aol.com Catpusher at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 16:28:36 MST 2011

My last post about changing a standard rear crank seal in place did not get
 posted to the list, I hope that this one makes it.

It can be done, and with the early TR2/3 flywheel  it can be done with  the
gearbox and flywheel in place.
The later flywheel has to be removed to clear the rear main cap and
attached seal.  The basic procedure is to align the cap half of the seal to  the
cap with the correct alignment tool:  2.818" dia. inside a good  seal;
scribe alignment marks across the seal split line to the upper half of the
seal to position the upper half once it is in place.  All the normal  steps
must be taken to clean and seal the project.  This is not an  enjoyable
job, but I have done it to save another TR owner.  I used the  standard rear
crank seal for 25 seasons of Nationally racing my TR3, and the  only issue was
created by the TR2/3 and TR4 Factory Manual having the incorrect  size
where the alignment tool fits inside the seal I.D.

Hardy

From:  Frank Fisher <yellowtr3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [TR] rear oil seal  TR3

has any  one attempted to change out the modern rear oil seal on the TR3
motor?
i  know trans comes out.
tough job im  sure.
impossible?