[TR] TR3 brake caliper question.

Angelo Graham agraham at execulink.com
Wed Feb 23 15:30:00 MST 2011

Hello List:
Just have a question about repairing a stripped thread on a Girling
caliper. I have the caliper that uses the triangular metal tabs to hold
the pads in the caliper.
The top small 1/4" in. bolt hole that holds the bolt for the tab is
stripped. I thought of opening the hole out to accept a 5/16" NF bolt,
but not sure about this as the hole is close to the center line/split of
the caliper. Any problems with opening this hole out?
The hole is not stripped too badly. Would it accept a 1/4" coarse tap?
Even using a Heli-coil would require opening the hole out to at least 9/32".
Any experiences with this repair?
Thanks for any help with this.
Angelo Graham