[TR] TR3 and TR4 rear oil seals; what's worked for me

fogbro1 at comcast.net fogbro1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 11:28:03 MST 2011

List,

A few comments on my experiences with aftermarket seals, yours may vary.

1. The seal arrangement that requires machining of the crank has met with varying success. Following the same procedure every time does not seem to offer the same result.  From what I've read of the experiences of others, this inconsistency is typical. I will not use this method again.

2. I did a TR4 engine a couple of years ago using a standard aluminum "seal" machined to closer tolerances by Greg Solow of The Engine Room.  I used Greg's mandrel to align the seal. The owner of the TR4 reported "no leaks" when asked about it last summer. I seem to recall that that engine also had auxiliary drain holes drilled in the rear main cap.

3. I just completed installation of a seal of German origin furnished by Joe Alexander. It requires machining of the original Triumph seal, but no alteration of the crankshaft. It's a split design that is located between the crank's original scroll and the rear flange.  Joe also furnishes a mandrel with which to align the two halves of the Triumph seal. Instructions were clear and easy to follow.  I also had the two auxiliary drain holes drilled in the rear main cap. Since the original Triumph arrangement is not altered, this approach can be no worse than the original design and should be significantly better. We shall see.

Ed Woods