[TR] question re draining fuel tank

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Feb 21 06:02:51 MST 2011

In a message dated 2/21/2011 1:29:23 AM Central Standard Time,
don at napanet.net writes:
> I have a '66 TR4A which I recently purchased that has been sitting
> for quite some time.  It starts and runs, but I would like to drain
> the fuel tank mas the fuel in the tank is old.  My car is the type
> with solid rear axle if that makes any difference.
> Is there any trick to draining the fuel tank?  Is it accessible from
> below the car?  Perhaps this is so simple an operation that posting
> it here is silly, but I just wanted to make sure there are no strange
> issues that might be lurking.

I presume you don't wish to take a shower in it in the process.  That being
the case I would recommend buying an electric fuel pump at the parts store
and connecting it to the hose leading to the carbs.  With some extra hose
you can direct the flow into a container.  Connect the pump to a battery and
let it run.  It will take about 5 minutes.  This is easy and there's no
crawling under the car.

If there are further issues with the tank and you have to disconnect the
line, at least most of the fuel will be out of the tank.

Having that pump around in the old tool kit can come in handy.  I't's
always a good idea to keep one around.

Dave