[TR] stag question

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Sat Feb 19 15:36:12 MST 2011

Hi Dave;

I'm afraid I don't know where the ID plates are on a Stag because I don't
own one anymore and can't remember. I have owned three of them previously,
though, so I think I can give most of the differences between a '72 and '73,
 most of them were cosmetic:
>From '73:
Twin stick-on side stripes along the waistline of the vehicle form front to
 back, usually in black.
Alloy wheels were an option in the UK and Europe but I think standard in
North America. They are the same in appearance (though not completely
identical)  to the 1980 MGB limited edition wheels.
More modern looking instruments, but the dash was the same.
Smaller steering wheel.
No quarter windows in the soft top, you got a big blind spot instead!
I think overdrive was made standard on manual gearbox models (at least in
the UK and Europe).
Front spoiler fitted, but maybe not for NA models.
There may have been some other cosmetic changes, but can't remember.
Mechanically, I don't think there were any, although various small changes
came in from time to time until production ended in I think 1977. One of
those  changes was to make the radiator thinner and less capable... silly
thing to do  on a Stag!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Tim (in Ontario).
Owned 2 Stags in the USA and 1 in the UK. Now with TR3A.