[TR] TR4A - Steering Column Question

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Wed Feb 9 07:32:51 MST 2011

All,

OK.. got the windshield wiper issue resolved (there are supposed to be spacers in the scuttle to take up the slack), so now I'm thinking through the steering column at bit.
I plan on replacing the column bushings, felt pieces and the grounding straps that run through the column.

In looking at the workshop manual's exploded view of the column I see "stays" (basically steel steadying bars).
One is for the "Upper clamp" and the other for the "bracket".
When I disassembled everything years ago, these stays basically connected the steering column to the body, so I know exactly how to put them back.

Now here's the question.  How many stays are these pieces supposed to have?
Each of mine has one each.  The manual represents one each.  But the pieces the stays attach to have two holes each.
Is this because there are supposed to be two stays?  Or is the second hole for left/right steering conversion?

That second hole is somewhat misleading.

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO