[TR] Ignition coil question..

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 6 13:34:11 MST 2011

When I restored my 3 way back in 79 - 80, I mounted the coil on the side of
the wheel well just behind where the horn attaches.

Yes, the HT wire to the distributor is longer but I have never had an ignition
failure of any kind.

Coil is a Lucas Super.

I did the same thing with my 4 when I restored it a few years ago. Same coil.

I use the Lucas bumble bee wire. Solid copper so I dont think I will see any
failure. The HT wire has some give so the flex does not seem to cause any
problem.

Currently, the coil on my 6 is mounted on the engine but I will be changing
that and mount it on the wheel well since the distributor is so much more to
the rear of the engine.

I could never understand why they would mount the coil on the block right next
to the water jacket.

Mounted on the wheel well lets the coil get some air flow from the fan. Not
sure how much cooler it operates but they have to be cooler than on the
engine.

Bob