[TR] Customized TR3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 17 10:43:29 MST 2011

> I wonder why just a 3 speed? Would have thought a 4 speed for sure.

4 speeds were a lot less common back in the 60s; also bigger and heavier.
It might have been chosen for the smaller size; but I'd guess it's just what
came out of the donor car.

Ironically, though, I'm not sure it would be all that much quicker than a
souped-up TRactor motor.  Back in the 70s I had a TR3A that would embarrass
a stock 289 Mustang, especially if he didn't take me seriously.  They were
fractionally quicker in a fair fight, but if I got a car length lead first

And if memory serves, the 283 Chevy was a heavier motor than the 289 Ford.

-- Randall