[TR] ring gap ect.

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Tue Dec 13 21:34:57 MST 2011

With my old liners, I didn't need to file the rings.  But, I put a
nice groove in one of them several years ago so replaced them.  Now I
need to file both the top and 2nd ring before assembling.  This is
for a TR-4 with 87 MM pistons, using Deves rings.  Since I rebuild it
every year, eventually I'll get the new liners honed to where I don't
need to file so much off of the rings.  :)

Not quite what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.  It is possible to pull
the head and pull the pistons to check that out with the engine in
the car.  The cost is a head gasket, possibly manifold gaskets and a
pan gasket plus a day or two's time.  Getting it wrong is more
expensive.  It will generally cost you a set of pistons, possibly a
set of liners, and if really bad there's a small chance that the
piston would come apart which adds a head and valves to the price,
possibly some valvetrain items too.

Tony Drews